PASTORS AND SIGNIFICANT
HISTORICAL EVENTS

In 1829 a group of 49 men incorporated as “The proprietors of the Young Ladies ‘Seminary” and
bought land of Simeon Danforth for the purpose of laying out a road and building a seminary and
a church. The road became Crescent Street (at the time Church Street). First Congregational
Church was built and then organized on the 3rd day of August 1837.

  • 1837-1851
  • Rev. Pliny B. Day.

He was the 1st pastor of the church. There was a great desire for spiritual things during this time, and in 1838, 86 people joined this church. In those days, members of the church were known to use profane language or to absent themselves from church or communion services for considerable times. Some were suspended or excommunicated when they refused to repent.  The Ladies Benevolent Society (LBS) started up in early 1838

  • 1851-1869
  • Rev Ebenezer G Parsons

A new pipe organ was purchased in 1867 at a cost of $700

  • 1872-1879
  • Rev Robert Haskins

Extensive repairs were made and the original pillars of the church were removed, thus allowing for enlarging of the vestibule, while the balcony above was made into a room for prayer meetings

  • 1880 – 1885
  • Rev Daniel W Richardson
  • 1885 – 1901
  • Rev Hiram B Putnam.

The church tower was rebuilt with a tower clock, and a new and heavier bell was hung. The 1st church bell still rings at the 1st Baptist church in Derry. This new bell has a tone that harmonizes with the Pinkerton Academy bell. In 1889 furnace heat was installed in the church. Then in 1897 after a vote by the church and parish, the church name was changed from First Congregational Church to Central Congregational Church

  • 1903-1910
  • Rev Charles Merriam,  Meriden, CT

Parsonage built in 1902 – this is where he stayed. In addition, a new Estey organ was purchased in 1908, which is still used to this date. In 1905, a marble baptismal font was donated to the church. The following year, 9 children were baptized with water from the Jordan River collected by Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Chase, who had just visited the Holy Land

  • 1911-1913
  • Rev Charles Robinson.

Established a troop of Boy Scouts and served as Scoutmaster. A celebration of the church’s 75th anniversary was held during this time

  • 1914 – 1918
  • Rev David Jack

In 1916, present-day pillars were added to the church. His sermons were considered ‘uniformly good’ and appealed to the young and old alike in his 4 years as pastor. During this time, 55 people became church members (2/3 of whom were high school age).

  • 1918 – 1923
  • Rev B. Alfred Dumm.

He was a ‘scholarly man with good sermons’ though some complained they were too deep.

  • 1923-1930
  • Rev Orlo E Barnard.

In 1927, 6 pairs of stained glass windows (gifted to the church) were added to the Sanctuary. Each of the 12 included a medallion with a biblical image. In 1929, the land adjacent to the church on the south side was gifted to the church. During his time at the church, the custom of Family Night Suppers was inaugurated (later to be called Pot Luck suppers).

  • 1931 -1936
  • Rev George Stephenson.
  • 1937 – 1943
  • Rev Harold Bentley

Celebrated the 100th anniversary of the church. In 1940 the church (all religious problems were delegated to the minister and deacons) and parish (raise monies for salaries and maintenance of the building) voted to unite in one corporate body. He was also chaplain of the NH state legislature during this time.

  • 1943-1945
  • Rev Orville H. White

One of his noteworthy quotes ‘ It was really only a few men who reached me spiritually and intellectually and gave me a vision of what it means to be a minister of the Gospel of Christ’

  • 1946-1963
  • Rev Albert G. Cornwell

Voted in 1949 to continue to be an independent congregational church and not to join the proposed merger with the Evangelical and reformed church. Also voted not to become part of the United Church of Christ in 1961.In 1956 a record player and amplifier was donated to broadcast sacred music from the church tower. In addition, the pipe organ was completely overhauled in 1962.

  • 1964-1965
  • Rev William B. Willis Jr.

He was considered a man of ‘delightful personality’ and made many friends while here’. His sermons held the interest of all who heard them. During this time there was consideration for a new building for Sunday school classes, but no definite action was taken until a few years later

  • 1966-1970
  • Rev Grant M Montgomery

In1970 a ground breaking ceremony took place for a children’s school and construction soon started. During this time, also bought a duplex house for the purpose of both protection and an income producer.

  • 1970  -1972
  • Rev Bertil V. Norman

Erection of the fellowship Hall was completed and dedicated in November 1970. During this time Robert ‘Andy’ Anderson came from Gordon Conwell Seminary as a student and supported many of the ministries of the church (Sunday school class, scripture readings for the morning church service, etc.). He was being discipled for his future calling as a pastor for this church.

  • 1973 – 1978
  • Rev Robert ‘Andy’ Anderson
  • 1978-1980
  • Rev Leon J. Cone

Interim pastor prior to Rev. Grove Armstrong

  • 1980 -1997
  • Rev Grove Armstrong

Assistance program developed for people who needed food over Thanksgiving and Christmas. Food carts were delivered to these individuals and the gospel shared.  Summer picnics with a dunk tank was a common and enjoyable event. Steven Misarski (Associate Pastor). CEF (Child Evangelism Fellowship at Central Church, summer camps that kids went to, Boy Scout troop. 

  • 1997 – 2002
  • Rev Leo Christian. 

The church continued to grow under Leo.

  • 2004-2014
  • Rev Fred Cheney

The church focused on outreach and missions which resulted in growth. TOOLS ministry developed to support projects for those in need by not only sharing practical skills but the love of Christ. Revived Central Moving to assist those needing to pack and move to a new place.Approved in 2012 to align with the more conservative CCCC (Conservative Congregational Christian Conference).

  • 2014 – 2022
  • Rev John Barner

Another church (Lifeway) utilized our church building for their services. Steeple shingles were replaced. A new projector was installed in the sanctuary and some of the Fellowship Hall flooring was replaced. The church stayed open during Covid as we spent the summer of 2021 worshiping outdoors. Church offices were moved from the duplex to the lower levels of the fellowship hall. Church membership was down during this period but a remnant from the past held this body together.

  • 2022-present
  • Rev. Richie Leblanc Jr.

Developed Holy Spirit-directed church goals and action steps.  Rented out half the church duplex and updated the 2nd half to prepare for a Worship Pastor. Tuesday morning Bible studies and Tuesday night ‘Calling Café’ focusing on Christian education and a meal shared with those that attend.

First Congregational Church, built in 1837

Bell in the church tower installed 1887

The bell in the church tower installed 1887

Supper gatherings – 1897

Pipe organs installed in 1908

Part of the 6 sets of windows installed in 1927

Fellowship hall added to the church in 1970

Fellowship hall – 2026

Central Congregational Church – 2026